Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sugar Figures prepared by us for Pongal

Sankranthi (Pongal) is a festival widely celebrated in South India. On this day, people prepare "Sugar Figures"(known as Sakkare Achchu in Kannada) and distribute it among friends and relatives.

It being our first Sankranthi after wedding,hubby and I being far away from our family and friends,decided to keep this tradition alive. We decided to prepare these Sugar figures on our own in USA(even though its a tedious process and requires experience)

I asked my mom-in-law to courier me the wooden molds and also asked the recipe. Usually,the sugar syrup of correct consistency is prepared and poured into wooden molds having certain carvings. Upon cooling, this sugar syrup solidifies,forming "Sugar figures" of corresponding shapes and sizes will be formed.

Having procured the wooden molds as well as the recipe, hubby and I set out to prepare "Sugar Figures".
This preparation took around 4-5 hours of  our time. It is a tedious and lengthy process.

We were successful in preparing these Sugar Figures.It was all worth the effort that we put in!

We even emailed these piks to our family and friends and everyone were proud of us!
In fact one of my aunt even emailed me asking me for the recipe(which was unbeleivable for me!)

Here are few pictures of Sugar Figures prepared by us at home.

1>Sugar Figures waiting to be removed from wooden molds.

















2>Forty Five Sugar Figures prepared by us

















3>Sugar Figures of different shapes and sizes










































































































Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

10 comments:

Anonymous

They look mouth watering... Any idea where to get the molds from??

Sparkling Star

@Anonymous,
Which part of the world are you in currently?
I ll let u know where u can get them from..

Reetha

Thank you for you nice visit and great comment. Actually, your blog is the right one to be described as food blog. Im more concentrating on food related health issues. And your blog is awsome..lip smacking delicacies.....that spice powders prepared, nice..

Riya & Reetha

A wonderful blog, both of us delighted to see this blog...thanks for great recipes..

Sparkling Star

Reetha and Riya,
Thanks for your valuable comments again!!
All your blogs are AWESOME! :)

Anonymous

Keep on posting such articles. I love to read blogs like this. Just add some pics :)

Anonymous

Pretty cool site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Adige Mane Ruchi

Hi Swathi,

Can you please share recipe for this?

Regards,
Neethu Harikishan

Vishku

Hi Swathi ,
I am not able to see the recipe I want the recipepls eve4n tips are welcome I want to learn n prepare this recipe pls guide me